A SINGLE GIFT
Select payment method
13 September 2022
Leading anti-slavery organisation, International Justice Mission (IJM) Australia has welcomed the release of new data on the scale of modern slavery around the globe.
The International Labour Organization (ILO), Walk Free and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) data estimates that there are almost 50 million people in slavery in the world today. The report paints a concerning picture regarding the scourge of modern slavery, particularly in the Indo-Pacific region.
Of the 49.6 million people estimated to be in slavery, 27.6 million people are in forced labour, and Asia and the Pacific hosts more than half of the global total (15.1 million) of people in forced labour.
Further, it revealed that 86 per cent of forced labour cases occur in the private economy, and State-imposed forced labour accounts for the remaining 14 per cent.
The report also stated that the number of people living in forced marriages has risen globally by 6.6 million to a total of 22 million people between 2016 and 2021. An estimated 14.2 million people in Asia and the Pacific are in forced marriages.
IJM Australia CEO, Steve Baird said the new data highlights the need for more to be done tackling modern slavery in the region.
“This data tells a shocking story about the prevalence of modern slavery in our region, and highlights why governments, businesses and NGOs need to be doing more to address it,” Mr Baird said.
“Modern slavery is a challenging issue to stamp out, particularly in complicated supply chains, but the new Australian Government, in partnership with NGOs like IJM, have the opportunity to step up and get the job done,” Mr Baird said.
“While this is happening in countries outside of Australia, these are our neighbours and it is Australian companies that are often contributing to this issue.
“We welcome the Government’s review of the Modern Slavery Act and look forward to working with government and business on stronger responses to this scourge, which we know are desperately needed.”
The release of new data, follows the release of IJM research which found that nearly 75 per cent of Australian modern slavery statements either did not satisfy basic reporting obligations or only met the basic reporting obligations.
Shockingly, nearly 85 per cent of company statements did not indicate a single instance where a company responded to actual or alleged modern slavery in their operations or supply chains.
“There is a clear gap in corporate Australia’s understanding of both the problem of modern slavery, and how to fix it,” Mr Baird said.
“IJM Australia stands ready to work with business and government on tackling modern slavery and de-risking the supply chain for Australian corporations.
“This is not only the right thing to do, but ultimately good for Australian businesses.”
MEDIA: Nick Trainor 0407 078 138
Learn more about IJM’s work to combat slavery and violence.
You might also be interested in…
“MEDIA RELEASE: Progress on Federal Anti-slavery Commissioner Sends Strong Signal”
Thursday 30 November 2023 International Justice Mission (IJM) Australia applauds progress on the establishment of an Australian Anti-Slavery Commissioner, with the introduction of amendments to the Modern Slavery Act 2018 tabled by the Attorney-General, Mark Dreyfus KC MP, in federal Parliament today. Following advocacy by IJM Australia, the Albanese Government committed $8 million over four
“MEDIA RELEASE: IJM Australia Welcomes Federal Government Crackdown on Child Sexual Abuse Material Online ”
International Justice Mission Australia has welcomed Communications Minister Michelle Rowland’s announcement today to strengthen the Basic Online Safety Expectations and bring forward a review of the Online Safety Act to protect children from online sexual exploitation and abuse. IJM Australia Chief Advocacy Officer, Grace Wong, said these reforms are desperately needed. “It has been concerning
“MEDIA RELEASE: IJM Australia Welcomes New Research on Australian Offenders, Shining a Light on a Crime Without Borders ”
Monday, 20 November 2023 IJM Australia welcomes new research released today that builds on our national understanding of how Australians are participating in one of the fastest growing crimes in the world, the Online Sexual Exploitation of Children (OSEC). The study by the University of NSW and Jesuit Social Services found 1 in 6 or
“MEDIA RELEASE: IJM Australia Welcomes eSafety Commissioner’s Second Transparency Report”
Monday, 16 October 2023 IJM Australia has welcomed an eSafety Commissioner report that revealed several of the world’s largest tech companies are failing to take adequate steps to detect and address online child sexual exploitation and abuse. In February, the eSafety Commissioner issued legal notices to five tech companies under its world-leading transparency powers